The GAA, the Ladies Gaelic Football Association & An Cumann Camógaíochta launched a Gaelic Games Player Pathway on 16th March, 2021.
All players are at the heart of this Pathway – with club involvement central to its success – and there is a key focus on creating an effective player development environment.
The Gaelic Games Player Pathway aims to fulfil the mission of the three Associations to address elitism to underage development, make quality coaching within clubs a lynchpin and to provide an opportunity for lifelong participation in our games for every boy and girl, regardless of their ability.
The Pathway has three main phases: Foundation, Talent and Elite/High Performance, with these phases further subdivided into eight sub-phases.
All three Associations are committed to providing players with the right supports at the right time, which will enable them to individually empower themselves to engage with the many challenges they will face along their Player Pathway Journey.
The Pathway outlines a holistic approach to Player and individual development, with the overriding aim of providing all players with positive experiences, thereby increasing the retention rate of lifelong participants.
- Club is Core – Club is central to nurturing a love and passion for our games and sustaining communities and lifelong participation
- Player Centred – We develop the player and the person
- Quality Coaching Experiences – Our coaches create an enjoyable coaching environment to meet needs and welfare of the player
- Connection – Our pathway promotes connection through relationship building opportunities, communication and teamwork.
- Inclusive – Gaelic Games are for All, regardless of abilities, background, beliefs or identities
- As Many as Possible for as Long as Possible – Our Pathway prioritises long-term development with a games programme that supports recruitment, development and retention of players
The GAA, the Ladies Gaelic Football Association & An Cumann Camógaíochta are united in the wish to create a better understanding of the Player Pathway for all involved in nurturing a love of Gaelic games – the player, the parent/guardian, the coach, the club, the teacher.
For full details on the Gaelic Games Player Pathway, visit https://learning.gaa.ie/playerpathway